Legal Information

Domestic Violence is a crime.

A crime we take seriously.


If you have been abused by your spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend, by someone you are related to, have lived with or have children with, or if you are a victim of stalking or harassment, you can request an Order of Protection to stop the abuse.

An Order of Protection can protect you from further abuse, bar the abuser from the home so that you can remain there safely, order the abuser to pay child support, maintenance, and legal expenses, award child custody and visitation, and/or order the abuser to undergo counseling in certain circumstances.


In addition to the Legal Helpline and LAAW advocates, LAAW offers The O.P. Booklet: A Step-by-Step Guide Through the Adult and Child Order of Protection Process to help you throughout the process.